My Fall 2016 Capsule wardrobe is complete! Just in time for my start date of September 22nd. I wrote about my preparation in a previous blog post. Now I’m going to write about how I chose my main items as well as my extras. If you are building your own capsule or are just pairing things down, I hope you find my process helpful though the best resources for pairing down your clothing are Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up, Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris and Dress with Less and Create a Capsule Wardrobe.
My goal was to have 33 items for 3 months along Project 333 guidelines. What I did is…
I created a page in my Bullet Journal to jot down my ideas for my capsule. I started off with my categories (Main, Extras, Accessories, Footware and Outerware) and numbered them. I wanted to use what I already owned so I looked at my closet to see what was appropriate for September, October and November in Ottawa. I had already removed what didn’t fit or was worn out. Since I did a major purge before I moved into my studio apartment I didn’t have much to choose from (on purpose). Most of what I had was black. I knew I wanted to have an accent colour or two and since I had a wine coloured blouse and a grey sweater I went with those (turns out it is on trend for Autumn 2016 – lucky me). From there I pulled out a burgundy Jacob sleeveless dress I’ve had for a few years and bought a beautiful floral shirt dress from Flock that I’ve had my eye on for a few weeks plus a burgundy blouse with a bow on it (I’ve wanted a blouse with a bow for at least a year, but haven’t found any in thrift shops so I decided to buy one at Flock since they are a local shop with Canadian made designs).
1) Black jeans 2) Blue jeans 3) Floral shirt dress 4) Burgundy sleeveless dress 5) Grey skirt 6) Black faux leather skirt 7) Grey sweater 8) Polka dot blouse 9) Wine coloured top 10) Burgundy blouse with bow
11) White 3/4 sleeve t-shirt 12) Black 3/4 sleeve t-shirt
13) Black top handle 14) Bird satchel 15) Beret 16) Tuque 17) Gloves 18) Scarf 19) Fancy scarf 20) Skull & crossbones necklace 21) Potty mouth necklace *
22) Zipper boots 23) Ballet flats 24) Black Jack Purcells 25) Joe Fresh high heels 26) winterboots (still need to buy these)
27) Jean jacket 28) Gap raincoat 29) Jacob 3/4 length coat 30) Winter coat **
* I will take pics of me wearing my necklaces. They are too fine to take well with my StyleBook app.
** The temperature will vary between -9 and +20 Celsius. It will likely snow in November – definitely in December. I will be swapping the jean jacket, raincoat and 3/4 length coat for winter coats once it gets below 5 degrees Celsius.
I still have room for three items. I’m saving them for an additional sweater once it gets colder, a special occasion dress (just not sure which one yet) and possibly my black suit. I’m waiting to see how cold things get at work and what is best for me to wear. Plus, I need to try it on and see if it still fits. Pants can be tricky for me given my waist to hip ratio.
I’ve been using the StyleBook app to mix and match my items to create different looks. I adore this thing. I’m still learning how to take shadowless photos of my items for easier backdrop removal, but even without perfect looking photos I’m find this tool so helpful.