After having done Dr. Sandy Skotnicki’s Product Elimination Diet last June I worked with my medical esthetician at The Best You to create my new routine. Along with facial treatments (micro dermabrasion, micro needling, radio frequency and IPL) spread out through the year, I think my routine has served me well. The skin issues I had are well controlled or have disappeared.
Some folks might look at the time and money I spend on my skin and judge it as frivolous, expensive or excessive. I know for me the time and money I spend enhances my sense of well-being. There are other things I don’t spend time or money on that other people do— owning more than 4 pairs of shoes, monthly clothing shopping, yoga classes, going out to restaurants, getting take-out, dyeing grey hair…
I also at age 48 save money by living with a roommate. My 81 year old mother. :-)
So, to each their own. And now on to my own.
- Rinse face with water. This gal needs a big splash of H20 to wake up.
- Put in hydrating eye drops. For this routine eyes are skin. Dryness is common and normal during perimenopause and beyond as estrogen production diminishes. This includes the eyes.
- Dry brush then take shower. Wash pits, feet and privates with CeraVe Hydrating Cleansing Bar.
- Lightly towel dry and comb down hair. I look like Billy Idol when I get out the shower.
- Apply coconut oil to my lower torso.
- Apply Vivier GrenzCine Body to upper torso and arms, Vivier GrenzCine Neck to neck and Vivier GrenzCine Eye to eyelids and under eyes. Yes, I got this set at a great price during a Members Day at The Best You.
- Apply Vivier Radiance Serum (has Vitamin C) from face to chest and to my hands.
- Apply CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion from face to chest.
- Apply EltaMD UV Physical Broad-Spectrum SPF 41 to my face to chest, hands and over my tattoos.
This needs a bit of a preamble because this is the first time in my life that I have been consistent with my nighttime skincare routine. I don’t even recognize myself. I mean habit-wise. This is a new me thanks to habit stacking!
When I get home from work I immediately want to change into my pyjamas. I need to get my bra OFF. It feels very natural/logical afterwards to wash my hands, take out my contact lenses, remove my make-up and cleanse my face. And since I’ve done that I continue and apply the remainder of the products in my routine.
Once that is done I have my supper or evening snack, chat with my mother, brush my teeth and go to bed. Stacking my habits this way has worked for me. Yay! No more sleeping in make-up.
Watch a short and sweet video about habit stacking here.
- First cleanse with water and Drunk Elephant Slaai Makeup-Melting Butter Cleanser.
- Second cleanse with Vivier Hexam Gentle Cleanser.
- Apply Vivier 1% Retinol Night Complex from face to chest.
- Apply Vivier Peptide Cr Eye Crème to my under eyes only.
- Apply CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion or Skin Essence Organics Rosehip Seed Oil. Sometimes I want a facial oil experience.
I will tweak this routine in October as I transition to the dryness of Autumn and Winter. I’m thinking of swapping in or adding Weleda Skin Food or CeraVe Moisturizing Cream.
This post doesn’t contain affiliate links. It isn’t sponsored.